2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
We love our crossovers! This week we are testing another, the Mazda CX-5 GT. It is much more than just an exterior face lift as they have refreshed almost every part of this vehicle.
Disclosure: Mazda Canada provided me with the 2017 CX-5 GT AWD for a week to test drive, and photograph. All photos in this blog post was taken by me.
- 187 HP @ 6000 and 185 lb-ft @ 4000
- 2000 lbs towing capacity
- 0-60 miles/hr in 8.1 seconds
- Average 0-60 time compared to other vehicles in this segment
- It's a bit slower than last years model because they added more weight to dampen the sound in the cabin.
- Would be nice to have a turbo engine option from the CX9
- Average braking for vehicles in this segment as the tires aren't as wide as it's competitors
- I still think it handles very well considering the type of car it is but they made this smoother compared to previous the previous
- Lots of feedback in this car to feel the road!
- Overall experience is a lot of fun for the driver
- Mazda listened to customer complaints that the previous model was too firm and made the suspension and ride a tad softer. I think it is has a good balance of handling while not being too firm or over softening it. Ride quality has been massively improved for comfort.
- Very stable and soaks up bumps on rougher roads.
- 24/31/27 (City/Highway/Comb) - FWD
- 23/29/26 (City/Highway/Comb) - AWD
- If you're looking to improve economy you should wait for the 2018 Diesel engine version that should be out soon.
CABIN NOISE: 8/10
- Isolated a lot of noise from previous year. You get some engine noise when you rev higher than 4500 RPM.
- They've added 100 lbs of foam, carpet and other materials to help dampen the cabin noise
- KODO "Soul of Motion" Design Language
- Not overly aggressive or boring looking
- Very smooth lines
- LED head and fog lights.
- The lights steer in the corners too!
- G-Vectoring Control (GVC)
- Rain-sensing intermittent windshield wipers
- Front window de-icer
- Rear intermittent windshield wiper
- Rear window defroster
- Colour Multi-Information Display (MID)
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring System (ABSM)
- Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR)
- Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function)
- Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS)
- Lane-keep Assist System (LAS)
- Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS)
- 3-point seat belts for all occupants
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBFD)
- Windshield-projected colour Active Driving Display (ADD)
- Rearview camera (wide angle)
- Hill Launch Assist (HLA)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
- Smart City Brake Support (SCBS)
- Smart Brake Support (SBS)
- Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS)
- Forward Obstruction Warning (FOW)
- High Beam Control System (HBC)
- Dual front air bags, front side air bags and dual side air curtains
- vEngine immobilizer theft-deterrent system
INTERIOR FOR DRIVER: 8.5/10
- Everything inside the vehicle is carefully thought out making it intuitive to use and fun to drive for the driver.
- Heads up display on the windshield is extremely useful providing the driver with plenty of information without
- Height adjustable front seat belts
- 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, including power lumbar support
- Heated steering wheel
- Driver’s seat memory position (2 memory settings)
- Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
INTERIOR FOR PASSENGERS: 8/10
- 6-way power-adjustable passenger’s seat
- Seats 5 but the middle rear seat has a bump on the floor which could make the leg room awkward for a taller person
- Height-adjustable front and rear seat head restraints
- LATCH child-safety-seat lower anchors & upper tether anchors in rear seat
- Plenty of head and leg room for rear passengers.
INTERIOR STORAGE: 7.5/10
- Unfortunately no bumper sensors to automatically open the trunk if you're holding groceries.
- While this isn't as big as the competition there is plenty of space for us.
- 875L cargo volume behind rear seats
- 1687L cargo volume behind front seats
- Latch on the rear seats to bring down the seats.
- One click button to close the trunk.
INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM: 8/10
- Mazda Connect system is very easy to use.
- You can use the rotary knob in the centre console and touch screen.
OVERALL IMPRESSION OF THE 2017 MAZDA CX-5:
Mazda's 17 CX-5 is in my opinion the most attractive, and tunes to be the fun to drive crossover in North America. The attention to detail in the interior is well designed for the driver especially. Nearly every part of the 2017 model has been tweaked in some way to address buyer complaints from last years model. I feel like Mazda has taken an approach to make the car have a luxury feel yet affordable price tag for the mainstream market. At the end of day you'll need to decide if you want something fun to drive or something more practical and more features. The CX-5 is my top 2 list for favourite vehicle in this category. For me it is a toss up between the Mazda CX-5 and Honda CRV even after driving