2018 Hyundai Accent MT
Hyundai's Accent is their most inexpensive model in North America now in it's 5th generation. A few weeks ago we got to try the automatic version. When we were asked if we would like to check out the manual version as a hatchback we couldn't resist!
Disclosure: Hyundai Canada & JS Auto provided me with the 2018 Hyundai Accent MT for a week to test drive, and photograph. All photos in this blog post was taken by me.
- 130 HP @ 6300 / 119 lb.-ft. @ 4850
- 1.6L (1591cc) DOHC Inline 4-cylinder
- 6 speed manual
- 8.6 seconds 0-100 km/hr
- Light curb weight allows for it to stop relatively fast.
- Again thanks to it slight curb weight, and suspension make this car one of the top in handling for its segment.
- Overall the ride feels good except on rougher gravel roads that makes my head bobble quite a bite.
- City: 28 / 28 (MT / AT)
- Highway: 37 / 38 (MT / AT)
- Combined: 31 / 32 (MT / AT)
CABIN NOISE: 6.5/10
- A lot of engine noise at higher RPMs
- Tire noise is noticeable too.
- Body looks attractive and unique.
- Has Hyundai's updated grill
- Full LED headlights and taillights
Front seats, 3-point seatbelt
Front seats, Front adjustable shoulder belt height
Front seats, Front seatbelt pretensioners
Rear seats 3- Points seatbelt, all positions
LATCH Lower Anchors & Upper Tether Anchors for Children
- Airbags, Driver & front passenger - Advanced type
Airbags, Occupant Classification System (OCS)
Airbags, Driver & front passenger side impact
Airbags, Side air curtains (front & rear passengers)
Child safety locks (rear)
AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) Radar only type
FCW (Forward Collision Warning) - Radar only type
INTERIOR FOR DRIVER: 9/10
- Front seats, 6-way adjustable driver seat w/ adjustable head restraint
- The seats are pretty comfortable with a decent range of motion for the steering column
- Good amount of head room
- Placement of controls on the dash is intuitives to use
INTERIOR FOR PASSENGERS: 7/10
- Front seats, 4- way adjustable FR passenger seat w/ adjustable head restraint
- Rear seats, 60/40 Split- folding rear seatback w/ adjustable head restraints
- The hatchback doesn't have an aggressive sloping design like the sedan version so headroom in the back is better.
- Rear legroom is a bit tight
INTERIOR STORAGE: 7.5/10
- Great trunk capacity due to the hatchback style design.
- However with the seats down, other cars in the segment would have more storage space.
INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM: 8.5/10
- Hyundai's infotainment system is one of the easiest to use although it may not look super modern with its graphics.
- Supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto
OVERALL IMPRESSION OF THE 2018 HYUNDAI ACCENT MT:
Hyundai’s Accent design has matured and is well equipped with many features. It looks good, and feels solid. What's interesting is the hatchback is not available in the US, but a hot seller in Canada.
The manual transmission is great to drive. The throws of the shifter and clutch feel good. If you can drive manual, and looking for your first car, this could be a great option! The small size makes it easy to park in the busy city and the car just feels a whole lot peppier with the manual transmission.
If you're looking for a subcompact hatchback definitely check out this Canadian exclusive in North America!