2018 Hyundai Accent
Hyundai's Accent is their most inexpensive model in North America now in it's 5th generation.
Disclosure: Hyundai Canada & JS Auto provided me with the 2018 Hyundai Accent for a week to test drive, and photograph. All photos in this blog post was taken by me.
- 130 HP @ 6300 / 119 lb.-ft. @ 4850
- 1.6L (1591cc) DOHC Inline 4-cylinder
- 6 speed automatic
- 8.6 seconds 0-100 km/hr
- Light curb weight allows for it to stop relatively fast.
- Again thanks to it slight curb weight, and suspension make this car one of the top in handling for its segment.
- Overall the ride feels good except on rougher gravel roads that makes my head bobble quite a bite.
- City: 28 / 28 (MT / AT)
- Highway: 37 / 38 (MT / AT)
- Combined: 31 / 32 (MT / AT)
CABIN NOISE: 6.5/10
- A lot of engine noise at higher RPMs
- Tire noise is noticeable too.
- The body looks mainstream and not horrible
- Has Hyundai's updated grill
- Full LED headlights and taillights
Front seats, 3-point seatbelt
Front seats, Front adjustable shoulder belt height
Front seats, Front seatbelt pretensioners
Rear seats 3- Points seatbelt, all positions
LATCH Lower Anchors & Upper Tether Anchors for Children
- Airbags, Driver & front passenger - Advanced type
Airbags, Occupant Classification System (OCS)
Airbags, Driver & front passenger side impact
Airbags, Side air curtains (front & rear passengers)
Child safety locks (rear)
AEB (Autonomous Emergency Braking) Radar only type
FCW (Forward Collision Warning) - Radar only type
INTERIOR FOR DRIVER: 9/10
- Front seats, 6-way adjustable driver seat w/ adjustable head restraint
- The seats are pretty comfortable with a decent range of motion for the steering column
- Good amount of head room
- Placement of controls on the dash is intuitives to use
INTERIOR FOR PASSENGERS: 7/10
- Front seats, 4- way adjustable FR passenger seat w/ adjustable head restraint
- Rear seats, 60/40 Split- folding rear seatback w/ adjustable head restraints
- The sloping design of the rear roof makes it challenging to seat taller passengers in the back.
INTERIOR STORAGE: 7.5/10
- Usable trunk capacity is really good because of it's deep and boxy shape.
- However with the seats down, other cars in the segment would have more practical storage space.
INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM: 8.5/10
- Hyundai's infotainment system is one of the easiest to use although it may not look super modern with its graphics.
- Supports Apple Car Play and Android Auto
OVERALL IMPRESSION OF THE 2018 Hyundai accent:
Hyundai’s Accent design has matured and is well equipped with many features. It doesn't look horrible, and feels solid.
The fuel economy isn't as good as it's competitors with a CVT but that's something I'm willing to give up. One of the main selling features for me is the fact they don't use a CVT and stuck with a traditional 6 speed automatic. You'll lose a little bit of fuel economy in exchange for a car that is more fun to drive. That being said it’s still easy on the wallet as the engine sips on gas and the market price is value oriented.
This is good for those who want a reliable new car that isn't going to break the bank, and for those who don't know how to shop for used cars.