2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid
The 2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid is significantly refreshed and competes in a small pool of competitors like the Infinity QX60 Hybrid, and the Lexus RX450 Hybrid which is not a 3 row seater. There is also the BMW, Mercedez and Volvo Hybrids but they are much more expensive and aren't priced
Disclosure: Acura Canada provided us with the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid for a week to test drive, and photograph.
3.0L V6 | 257 HP @ 6300 RPM | 218 lb-ft @ 5000 RPM
AC Motor | 47 HP @ 3000 | 109 lb-ft @ 500-2000
Twin Motor Electric Rear Axle | 36+36 HP @4000 | 54+54 lb-ft @ 0-2000
System Total 321 HP | 289 lb-ft
5.9 seconds 0-60
One of the fastest vehicles of it's size due to it's light weight body.
- 134 ft to stop. Not too good and a bit surprised a light weight car takes this long to stop
- Good handling!
- Light curve weight
- Very accurate and tight driving line
- Softer and higher suspensions
- Towing is not recommended. The non hybrid version allows for 5000 lbs but hybrid is 0.
- Combined MPG 27 for Hybrid
- The hybrid system isn't just designed for fuel economy. It's also about performance.
CABIN NOISE: 8.5/10
- Muted with road, wind and engine noise.
- Diamond pentagon shaped aggressive and bold front grill. It is a hate or love it design.
- Full LED front head lamps, and fog lights
- Immobiliser theft-deterrent system
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system
- Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS)
- Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH) child-seat mounting system positions in 2nd row (3)
- Road Departure Mitigation (RDM™) system
- Security system
- SmartVent™ front side airbags
- 3-row side curtain airbags with rollover sensor system
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System(TPMS) with location and pressure indicators and tire fill assist
- Trailer Stability Assist™
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
- Blind Spot Information system (BSI)
- Child-seat tethers in 2nd row (3), 3rd row (2)
- Childproof rear door locks
- Collision Mitigation Braking System™(CMBS®)
- Cross Traffic Monitor system
- Driver's knee airbag
- Dual-stage, multiple-threshold front airbags (SRS)
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system
- Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA®) with Traction Control
INTERIOR FOR PASSENGERS: 8/10
- Lots of leg room even with the front seats all the way back
- The 2nd seats need to be retracted forward to get to the third row seats
- 2nd row seats are heated
- 3rd row is tight on leg and head room. The 3rd row seats are really low to the ground which causes the legs to be at a weird angle.
INTERIOR FOR DRIVER: 9.5/10
- Only 2-way lumbar support but plenty of room even for a larger person.
- Real leather seats and real wood trims for NA vehicles
- Button style shifter
OVERALL IMPRESSION OF THE 2017 Acura mdx sport hybrid:
Acura's 17 MDX Sport Hybrid is the most efficient, and fastest version of the MDX. It has a smooth and polished ride with excellent handling. Acura was very aggressive with the Hybrid pricing making it a great option for those needing a larger vehicle that is good on gas and drives well. It would make a great 4 seater with lots of storage with the 3rd row down. I would skip the entertainment package that comes with a DVD player, screen and wireless headphones and opt to buy a couple iPads and headphones for the passengers.